Ten years ago Hurricanes Katrina and Rita tore into the Gulf Coast and displaced over a million residents. For many of these people, trailers provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency became their homes.

But many of the new occupants soon found it hard to breathe, suffering flulike symptoms, stinging eyes, and nosebleeds. The culprit was formaldehyde, which emanated from the hastily assembled, substandard materials used to make the trailers. The toxic FEMA trailers became an embarrassment to the agency and, in the eyes of many, emblematic of the government’s mismanaged response to the disaster.

A decade after the storms Distillations followed CHF researcher and medical anthropologist Nicholas Shapiro as he went searching for the remaining FEMA trailers. His search took him to the oil fields of North Dakota, where a different kind of housing crisis is taking place.



To read more follow this link:
http://grist.org/politics/people-are-still-living-in-femas-toxic-katrina-trailers-and-they-likely-have-no-idea/

Video by Mariel Carr. Special thanks to reporter Nick Shapiro. Video produced by The Chemical Heritage Foundation, a library, museum, and center for scholars in Philadelphia that fosters dialogue on the role of science and technology in society. Find out more about their multimedia magazine at http://distillations.org.

Subscribe to this channel here: https://bit.ly/2qvfeRp

YOU MAY LIKE
Loading...
Only 10% of you will not go to FEMA camps the other 90% will and here is why.

This is a follow up to my February 8th video to make things more clear. Legacy is doing a sale right now threw the end of May 20% off of everything an...

City Living In A Pop Top Camper

This little pop-top camper might not look like much from the outside, but for 22 year old Lily Kemp it's home. For her it means freedom and provides a...

Stuff They Don't Want You To Know - FEMA Camps

The Federal Emergency Management Agency was created in 1976 to handle domestic emergencies, but conspiracy theorists allege that FEMA's mission is any...

Kathy Living in a $2500 Used Trailer.

You can live in an RV for much less money than you think! Here we meet Kathy who bought a small travel trailer for $2500! She moved into it and now bo...

10 Disasters Caused by Absurdly Negligent Decisions

We may call some catastrophes “accidents,” but in other cases decisions are made — by those ordinarily trusted to make the right call — that are so po...